Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Gentle Nudge

George Couros (@gcouros), who began this leadership reflection and mentoring project #SAVMP, provided a gentle nudge to participants, like myself, who are not out visibly reflecting, blogging, tweeting, and sharing. Kudos to George for the whole project, an important online experience in sharing and mentoring. Not so many kudos to me as a participant who was visible week one and invisible the next eight weeks.

In my defense, I was hired for a new position in a new city on the third week of this project. My new school, a fabulous place that is an excellent spot for someone like me, had already started when I made the switch. I have been racing ever since to move out, move in, learn anew, and catch up! I am finally feeling the settling of the tidal waves into smaller, surf-able entities and so George's reminder comes at the perfect time.

Reflecting while racing becomes an exercise in futility. For the most part when things are moving quickly, I am moving from one action to another with only small gulps of reflective air. The one place I have found where my mind finally slows enough to hear its own thoughts, is in the car, when I do not have a pen handy. Inevitably when I get out of the car and step across the threshold to my school, the racing begins and any chewable thoughts have been discarded in the wind of acceleration.

Because of this mad routine of reflect and lose, reflect and lose, I have started two practices. First, I keep the microphone ready on my cell and talk into it while driving (hands free of course). I leave just enough snippets of thought that I can later go back and write my ideas and thinking into a coherent usable medium. Second, when I arrive in the morning, I have taken to sneaking in where no people are gathered, closing the door, and quickly writing up my thinking before the day begins. I find my mind fresher and ready to explore in the early hours, so this is perfect for me.

I am reading the ideas of other leaders on their #SAVMP blogs and hope to incorporate more practices as I improve more on workload management.


No comments:

Post a Comment